Summer allows many to enjoy the great outdoors and get together with family and friends. While this is enjoyable for all, it is key to remember that everyone, with more emphasis on seniors, must keep cool and hydrated in the heat. Summer activities can pose some serious challenges for seniors who are in independent living communities if some essential safety measures are not in place. This is especially because seniors are often more vulnerable to heat and sun rays.
However, at Discovery Villages, we believe that everyone can enjoy summer. With the proper safety measures, seniors do not need to be excluded from summer activities. At Discovery Villages communities, we utilize many of the best practices recommended by public health officials to ensure our residents’ health and safety.
You’ll also find exceptional senior living at an outstanding value. Ready to see for yourself? Then come inside and experience life at Discovery Villages. Contact us through our secure online form or give us a call at today to learn about our health and fitness program.
5 Senior Safety Tips for the Summer
Although summer is a time of fun and relaxation, the heat and sun can have dangerous effects. These five safety tips can help seniors and their families have a fun and safe summer.
1. Wear Light and Comfortable Clothing
Dressing appropriately, such as in light fabrics that breathe and help body heat escape, will go a long way to help you keep you cool.
2. Reduce Strenuous Activities
Exercise is always important. But during summer’s hottest months, exercise either indoors in an air-conditioned space or work out early in the morning or late at night to avoid the hottest parts of the day. Your body will be working a lot harder during the hottest hours of the day during strenuous physical activities.
3. Stay Hydrated
This, of course, is important throughout the year, but particularly during the hot summer months, when you can lose fluids more quickly. Increase your intake of fresh fruits and other foods with high water content. Limit caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, as these can act as a diuretic and cause you to lose fluids.
4. Avoid Too Much Sun
If you’re going to be outside for an extended period, always use a sunblock with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 or sunscreen with at least 30 SPF. Put on sunglasses and a hat with a brim to help shield the delicate skin around your eyes. The hottest hours of the day are generally between 10 AM and 3 PM, so try to stay out of direct sunlight during those times.
5. Know the Signs of Heat Exhaustion or Dehydration
The signs of heat exhaustion or dehydration include an increased pulse, weakness, nausea, heavy sweating, or no sweating at all. If you experience any of these, find a cool place to sit and drink chilled beverages or eat popsicles.
Connect with Discovery Villages Today
Some of the services you will enjoy at Discovery Villages communities include but are not limited to:
- Safe and vibrant environment for seniors to thrive.
- Independent senior living is specially designed for active seniors, with spacious laundry, etc.
- SHINE® memory care — Specialized care for seniors with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Respite care (short-term stays) – This is ideal for seniors who are recovering from illness/injury/surgery.
Our community locations include the following:
- Discovery Village At Alliance Town Center
- Discovery Village At Boynton Beach
- Discovery Village At Castle Hills
- Discovery Village At Deerwood
- Discovery Village At Dominion
- Discovery Village At Melbourne
- Discovery Village At Naples
- Discovery Village At Palm Beach Gardens
- Discovery Village At Sandhill
- Discovery Village At Sarasota Bay
- Discovery Village At Southlake
- Discovery Village At Stuart
- Discovery Village At Sugarloaf
- Discovery Village At Tampa Palms
- Discovery Village At The Forum
- Discovery Village At Twin Creeks
- Discovery Village At Westchase
- Discovery Village At West End
We can also schedule a tour, answer your questions, and help you decide which of our senior living programs is right for you or your loved one.
Connect with us online or call us at to find out how you can join any of Discovery Senior Living’s communities today.