Finding a suitable living environment for an aging loved one can be overwhelming, especially for those who are unfamiliar with senior living options and what they entail. To find the best fit for an aging senior — one that addresses nutritional, social, emotional, and cognitive wellness — it’s important to understand what types of housing are available, as well as the unique features of each type of program.
If you’ve considered independent living for seniors or whether such a living environment is appropriate for your loved one, you’ll find more information below.
Independent Living for Seniors: What It Entails
In a residential setting, senior living encompasses a spectrum of care, the least supervised of which is independent living. Senior independent living is designed for active, aging individuals who desire myriad opportunities for socializing and recreating with their peers in a community setting. To help residents socialize and maintain active, healthy lifestyles, senior independent living homes provide a number of organized activities designed to foster ongoing engagement and overall wellness.
In an independent living for seniors community, residents enjoy their own private dwelling spaces, such as apartments or even single-family homes. They also have access to communal areas where they can socialize with other members of the community and engage in a number of resort-style amenities. Because this senior living option caters to aging individuals who can live without supervision, it includes features that would normally be present in a typical independent dwelling.
Who Should Consider Independent Living for Seniors?
To determine whether senior independent living is right for you or your loved one, it’s important to consider current abilities and potential limitations. When weighing this living option against others, consider the following questions:
- Can you personally manage the activities of daily living?
- Do you desire a community of other active peers?
- Would you enjoy organized outings to restaurants, cultural attractions, and retail establishments?
- Would access to on-site dining options, entertainment opportunities, and on-site medical care benefit you?
- Is your current home too large for your needs or too time-consuming to maintain?
- Would you enjoy the opportunity to socialize and entertain guests in your own private, community-based dwelling?
Can you or your loved one successfully manage normal daily activities but would benefit from increased socialization and community? Then it may be time to consider a senior independent living program. When the supervision of an assisted living program is not necessarily required, senior independent living strikes a perfect balance between complete independence and personalized care.
Senior Independent Living at Discovery Village At Westchase
At Discovery Village At Westchase, we provide maintenance-free, independent living for seniors that encompasses a variety of age-appropriate recreational activities and lifestyle amenities. Our team of highly trained, compassionate professionals takes care of all the work, while you relax and enjoy a community that caters specifically to your needs. As part of our exclusive program, we offer:
- Fully equipped, personal kitchens in each independent resident apartment
- Nutritionally dense, restaurant-style community meal options in our Sensations Dining room
- Weekly housekeeping and concierge services
- Complimentary transportation to scheduled community outings and medical appointments
- Daily, on-site recreational and social activities and events
- 24/7 access to our on-site health and wellness professionals
Learn More About Senior Independent Living at Discovery Village
If you or your loved one is weighing senior living options, our team at Discovery Village At Westchase invites you to explore our community. From independent living and assisted living to memory care and personal care living, we offer a variety of programs designed to cater to a range of needs and abilities. To learn more about our programs, feel free to contact our team today.