You may have realized that whenever you enter a spa, there is a distinct smell in the air, often lavender. Spas make use of aromatherapy to help their customers relax before and during their treatments, and you can do the same from home. As an older adult or a caregiver to an elderly loved one, you may be wondering about the benefits of aromatherapy for seniors. We share more with you in this article!
Understanding How Smell Can Relieve Stress
Did you know that smell is one of the strongest triggers of memory? You may have passed by a bakery before and found it surprising that the smell of freshly baking bread took you back to your childhood. When the olfactory nerve is triggered, the parts of the brain that control memory, mood, and emotions are triggered as well. These parts belong to the autonomic nervous system, which is responsible for relaxation responses.
Benefits of Aromatherapy
Anyone, regardless of age, can benefit from aromatherapy. Below is a list of benefits you can expect to experience:
- Reduced levels of stress, anxiety, and depression
- A better night’s sleep
- Reduced pain
- … and more!
In addition, individuals living with dementia can experience an improvement in challenging behaviors that are caused by anxiety and/or discomfort.
Aromatherapy Products You Can Try Out
You may be wondering what type of products you can purchase if you are looking to try out aromatherapy. There are many different types of aromatherapy products out there and chances are, you already have some of them at home! Check these out:
- Lotions: One of the easiest and non-intimidating ways of getting started with aromatherapy is through your choice of lotion. Simply choose your or your loved one’s favorite scent and apply it every night!
- Scented Candles: Scented candles can be great for setting a scene for relaxation. You may wish to light one at night after dinner to promote a calming ambiance that will prepare your loved one for bed.
- Diffusers: Reed diffusers are another popular option and are often what first comes to mind when aromatherapy is mentioned. With a diffuser, you will need to buy essential oils to go with it. The choice is yours, and some popular scents for relaxation include lavender, peppermint, and rose.
- Bath Salts: To turn baths into a relaxing spa experience, bath salts are just what you need. They can be added directly to bathwater, filling the bathroom with a fragrance you love and promoting relaxation.
Come to Discovery Village At Stuart for Modern and Convenient Senior Living
If you are looking to move into a senior assisted living community where you can benefit from stylish amenities and lifestyle services, you have come to the right place at Discovery Village At Stuart. Each of our senior living apartments comes equipped with the modern fixtures and safety features you will need, allowing you to live a carefree retirement life with everything you need all in one place.