Do you have a relative who has recently been discharged from the hospital and seeking senior rehabilitation centers? There are various rehabilitation centers you can choose from—from assisted living to skilled nursing homes to home-based care. However, when selecting a senior rehabilitation center for your loved one, choose one that is safe and will help them recuperate as fast as possible.
What Is a Rehabilitation Center for Seniors?
Senior rehabilitation centers aim at helping individuals recover from injuries or significant medical events while lessening pain or improving functionality. That said, services offered at senior rehabilitation centers include:
- Physical therapy, which helps improve movement, flexibility, balance, pain management and also increases strength.
- Occupational therapy involves helping individuals perform day-to-day activities. It also involves teaching how to use adaptive equipment and fine motor skills.
- Speech therapy helps with communication, cognitive skills (for example, memory or attention problems), or swallowing.
Inpatient Senior Rehabilitation Features
There are three primary levels of healthcare services offered at senior rehabilitation centers. The levels depend on your specific needs, the duration of your stay, and your health status.
- Basic Care services include personal care, assistance with day-to-day activities, medical needs supervision, and help walking.
- Sub-Acute services are intended to help you with severe illness, chronic conditions such as COPD, and serious injuries.
- Acute Care services assist with traumatic injuries, severe stroke, intensive surgery, and debilitating diseases. With this type of care, your nurse works hand in hand with your doctor and family to help develop the best program to help you recuperate.
Inpatient and Outpatient Rehabilitation
The services offered in senior rehabilitation centers include outpatient and inpatient services. Senior rehabilitation centers offering inpatient services are ideal for people who have undergone severe surgery or have sustained severe injury. Intensive care is available for such arrangements and often entails occupational, speech, and daily physical therapy. Inpatient rehab centers also have meal plans recommended by dietitians, counseling sessions, social activities, and exercise classes. There’s the provision of medical assistance and care in addition to daily activities like dressing and bathing.
For outpatient rehab, the seniors commute to the rehab daily to complete their rehabilitation. Furthermore, the center offers occupational, physical, and speech therapy.
Short-Term Vs. Long-Term Rehabilitation
There are two options available in rehab centers—long-term and short-term options. The critical determinant of the rehab option that your loved one will receive is their state of health. Their doctor will recommend the type of rehabilitation program to offer your elderly parent based on the severity of the injury or illness.
Choose Discovery Village At Southlake
You should seek assisted living for your parents before things get out of hand, and Discovery Village At Southlake can help. This facility is among the 36 senior living communities that provide SHINE® Memory care. We also offer senior members exceptional lifestyle choices. Please feel free to contact us to learn more about our senior living options.