Moving to a retirement community provides more than a place to slow down and retire quietly. Many active seniors hope to form rich relationships and live a life of purpose in their golden years. By choosing independent senior living near Colleyville, TX seniors can experience adventure and enrich their lives through various social activities. Find out the difference between CCRC and independent senior living.
Independent Senior Living
Independent living communities target active seniors who do not wish to continue living alone in their homes. The retirement communities provide the independence and privacy that comes with living at home, with the benefits of being connected to a welcoming community. Many also provide additional help for seniors who require assistance with daily tasks or those with chronic health issues.
Independent living allows seniors to participate in outings and events, participate in group meetings or classes and enjoy gourmet meals in stylish settings. While the focus is on community, the residents who live in private apartments do not have to participate in specific activities.
Benefits of Independent Living
There are various reasons why individuals choose independent senior living. Benefits include:
- Creating social connections.
- Living in a beautiful serviced apartment.
- No home maintenance is required.
- Access to assistance when needed.
- Reduced costs as seniors do not have to worry about home ownership costs.
- Access to amenities and a wide range of activities.
- An opportunity to continue learning.
- Caregiver support and education about dementia, aging and other concerns.
Some independent living communities enable the residents to age in place by providing assisted living and memory care in one location.
Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC)
CCRC neighborhoods allow seniors to age in place in an apartment, condo or freestanding home. The communities provide a service for seniors who want to maintain their own space while having access to help when they need it. CCRCs often provide access to activities for residents, but the focus is more on supporting the senior’s desire to maintain their independence.
Benefits of CCRC
There are reasons why seniors choose continuing-care retirement communities. Benefits include:
- Living in a beautiful exclusive neighborhood with other seniors.
- Chance to age in place as needs change.
- Access to neighborhood amenities such as workout rooms and swimming pools.
- Support staff and caregivers who come to the residents.
Drawbacks of CCRC
There are some downsides associated with CCRCs. They include:
- Fewer social interactions and connections.
- They are significantly more costly than other options.
- Less support from caregivers.
- If the community is not close to local attractions, residents can become isolated.
Making A Decision
For seniors who do not like community living and prefer to be alone, CCRC is a good option. However, independent living often provides access to services and amenities that may otherwise be out of reach for the individual. Your finances will determine where you can afford to live. It is also essential to decide the level of care or assistance you require.