Are you and your spouse or partner looking to downsize? Do you want the convenience of on-site amenities and activities? Or are you ready to make the move to a community where you’ll have access to medical care and help as needed? If you’re looking into senior living communities as a couple, choosing between your options can seem complicated. With options to fit every budget, location, and level of care, there’s much to keep in mind before making this important decision regarding an independent senior living community.
Questions to Ask Before Moving to a Senior Living Community
As you consider the move to a senior living community, having open and honest conversations about your needs and expectations can help you navigate your options. What do you need to consider before making this big decision? Ask yourselves the following questions:
- Where do you want to live? Some seniors want to live close to family, while others take time in retirement to live somewhere new.
- What amenities are important? Are chef-prepared meals, fitness centers, or pools high priorities?
- What kind of residence are you looking for? Do you want a spacious two-bedroom apartment, or do you want to downsize to a smaller living space?
- What services do you need? Laundry, housekeeping, transportation, and dining services are just some of what you might find in senior living communities.
- Do you need extra assistance? Whether you think you would benefit from assisted living services now or in the future, moving to a community that offers them can be helpful.
While discussing these questions, use your answers to narrow down the communities you find.
Life in a Senior Living Community as a Couple
Married couples have much to look forward to upon moving to a senior living community. Some of what you can expect includes:
- New friends – Spend more time socializing through community activities
- Independence – You and your spouse can participate in different things throughout the day
- More free time – Team members take care of everyday chores so you can spend more time making memories
- Levels of care – Those who would benefit from assisted living or memory care services can easily make the transition in a full-service retirement community
Outings, fitness classes, daily games and events, and fun educational programs might appeal to active seniors. Independent senior living is ideal for those who want the convenience of a senior living community but who can manage most daily living activities on their own. Elderly couples and seniors who need assistance throughout the day might benefit from assisted living. This living option includes help from experienced team members as needed. And those with memory-related issues might move into a community that offers memory care. If your spouse is suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia, a senior living community that offers multiple living options can support you both.
Learn More About Discovery Village Today
Discovery Village communities are perfect for couples. With a variety of floor plans and senior living options to choose from, our communities offer the right fit for every retiree. If you’re looking to make the move to a senior living community as a couple, our senior living specialists can answer any questions you have and can schedule a tour.
Our community locations include the following:
- Discovery Village At Alliance Town Center
- Discovery Village At Boynton Beach
- Discovery Village At Castle Hills
- Discovery Village At Deerwood
- Discovery Village At Dominion
- Discovery Village At Melbourne
- Discovery Village At Naples
- Discovery Village At Palm Beach Gardens
- Discovery Village At Sandhill
- Discovery Village At Sarasota Bay
- Discovery Village At Southlake
- Discovery Village At Stuart
- Discovery Village At Tampa Palms
- Discovery Village At The Forum
- Discovery Village At Twin Creeks
- Discovery Village At Westchase
- Discovery Village At West End
Our communities have been designed with seniors’ needs in mind. Features like upscale finishes, spacious senior apartments, resort-style amenities, and a number of exclusive senior living programs help our residents feel at home. We take care of responsibilities like housekeeping and laundry so you can do more of what you love. Looking for a welcoming community where you and your spouse can thrive? Contact Discovery Village at or find a location near you today.