For many residents at Discovery Villages retirement communities, the best things in life are not hard to find. When budgets are tight, however, it is always nice to rehearse those things that are of most value. The very best life has to offer doesn’t put the squeeze on your bank account. The following are more reasons to believe that the best things in life can’t be bought with money.
Are you awe-inspired by nature? There is a lot to astonish or simply delight in, for anyone with an appreciation for creation. Here are a few things in nature that many people find thrilling:
- A beautiful sunrise. You are indeed fortunate if you have a terrific view of the sun peeking over the horizon in the mornings.
- A breathtaking sunset. Hawaii has sunsets as beautiful as the islands themselves. You don’t have to visit the Aloha State, however, to witness purple, orange, pink, and blue colors sweeping across the sky as the sun goes down.
- A burbling fountain or brook. Even the sounds of nature are a source of delight. A water fountain has many benefits, including: causing relaxation, providing stress relief, and masking annoying sounds.
- Birds. Whether you watch hummingbirds on birdfeeders, have a pet canary, or enjoy the birds that occupy the air space wherever you go, birds can be a source of great enjoyment. Of course, listening to birdsong is also one of life’s simple pleasures.
- Squirrels. Of course, squirrels can be the cause of much anxiety, since they like to rob birdfeeders and claim backyard territory as their own. Watching squirrels leap from one flimsy branch to another at high elevations can, however, be truly fascinating and entertaining.
- Barefoot on Beaches. Beautiful beaches in Florida are not far from any of our retirement communities. Taking a walk on the beach, especially barefoot, is an experience in nature that comes with numerous benefits, such as:
- The sunshine provides needed vitamin D, and being in sunlight is known to decrease depression.
- Sand acts as a natural exfoliate.
- Ocean minerals reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
- The ocean is also full of minerals that preserve skin elasticity, which means it can help you look younger, as long as you protect yourself from harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Walking on sand requires more mechanical work than taking a walk at the same speed on a hard surface. Because of the challenging surface, sand helps to improve balance.
- If you opt to go in the water, you’ll burn about 200 calories with a leisurely swim.
- For anyone who is involved with an excessive amount of technology, visiting the beach is a great way to unplug and recharge yourself and promote your own mental, physical, and spiritual health.
The importance of getting an adequate amount of quality sleep is never more evident than when a person is deprived of it. Simply sleeping is one of the best things in life. It is the ultimate recharge. For many people, sleep isn’t taken for granted because they have various challenges. People with sleep apnea, for example, often must wear a bulky device in order to sleep soundly and safely. Here are some interesting facts about sleep:
- If you fall asleep in less than 5 minutes, you are probably sleep-deprived. Ideally, it takes between 10 and 15 minutes for a person to fall asleep. This means you are tired enough to enjoy a deep sleep but not so exhausted that you feel sleepy throughout the day.
- It is best not to take sleeping pills during the process of bereavement because induced sleep disrupts the grieving process.
- Hot summer nights can cause sleep to be restless because body temperatures must be cooled off to have a good snooze. The sleep-wake cycle in the brain is closely linked to body temperature.
- The round-the-clock accessibility of the Internet is the most common and alluring sleep distraction, according to experts.
- When clocks are set back an hour, giving everyone an extra hour of sleep, experts say there are fewer traffic accidents.
A Grateful Attitude
You don’t have to look any further than your own attitude to find a happy life. The adage “Attitude is everything” has a lot of truth in it. Studies have shown that the attitude of gratitude alone is packed with amazing benefits. To name a few benefits, gratitude:
- Makes you feel happier.
- Makes you physically healthier.
- Strengthens your emotions.
- Fosters optimism.
- Improves self-esteem.
- Makes you less self-centered.
- Increases energy levels.
- Promotes relaxation.
- Makes you friendlier.
- Helps improve your relationships.
As regards relationships, Discovery Villages retirement community is a great place to make friends and enjoy spending time with family, as well. Learn about some of the best things in life that involve friends and family in this ongoing series.
Discovery Village at Sandhill offers a variety of senior living programs to keep seniors healthy and active. Learn about our senior living options and amenities today when you contact us at 803.836.9545