Skilled nursing service refers to a patient’s medical attention or treatment requirement, delivered by a certified nurse or other certified healthcare practitioners. This sort of care is often provided by a home healthcare service, an assisted living complex with an on-staff nurse, or a skilled nursing facility with 24-hour nursing care.
When Should You Seek Skilled Nursing Care for Your Parents?
Skilled nursing care entails qualified experts providing care services as a result of an accident or disease, which might include:
- Complex wound coverings and post-operative wound care
- Injections into the muscles
- Catheter, incontinence, and colostomy care
- Feedings using tubes
- Management of diabetes
- Assistance with Day-to-Day Activities (ADLs) (ADLs)
- Transfusions of blood
- Observing essential signs and medical equipment
- After a hip replacement, physical therapy can aid with solidity and balance difficulties
- Speech treatment to help with communication
- Occupational treatment, to assist patients in regaining independence
- Services in pharmaceuticals, laboratories, and radiology
Types of Services Provided
Suppose you or your loved one suffers a stroke, surgery, or requires long-term care for kidney, heart, or respiratory disorders; they may need rehabilitation in a specialist nursing home after being discharged from the hospital.
Also, if a doctor orders specialized therapies like physical and occupational therapy, skilled nursing services are what you might need. However, you must go to a Medicare-certified skilled nursing community to qualify for any of these.
- Physical therapy: Following a sickness, surgery, or hospitalization, a rehabilitation service team will develop a specific plan to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Occupational therapy: Assists people in adjusting to physical and social surroundings by providing specific treatments such as dressing, memory training, and synchronization exercises.
- Speech therapy: Addresses communication problems as well as swallowing difficulties. Communication and language pathologists can provide therapy plans to improve language skills, offer alternative communication tactics, and make dietary suggestions.
Skilled Nursing Care Options—Assisted Living
Nursing care, therapeutic services, round clock care personnel can all be provided in an assisted living community. Necessities, like preparing meals, and showering, can alleviate pressure for both the resident and family members.
Many communities offer transportation to and from medical and therapist appointments, while peer influence activities and interaction in assisted living facilities promote healing and mental health.
Many families are uninformed that assisted living communities provide short-term accommodations for patients who have been discharged from the hospital. Often, a patient will fall in love with the community and decide to stay as a permanent resident.
If your parent or loved one has a severe medical problem that needs 24-hour supervision by a licensed nurse, assisted living is the ideal option once they have recovered in a skilled nursing facility.
Choose Discovery Village At Southlake
Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, wound care, injections, and vital sign and medical equipment monitoring are just some of the services and medical care that skilled nursing communities may provide.
Discovery Village At Southlake takes pride in delivering the most excellent standards of senior living with inviting apartment houses, lovely indoor and outdoor settings, plenty of facilities, and compassionate care. Check out our senior living options to find out how we’d be of help to your loved ones.