There is a love beyond compare between grandparents and their grandchildren. It’s a bond that can build unforgettable memories. The time that grandchildren spend with grandma or grandpa will help shape them in their later years. The meaningfulness of time spent together will lodge itself deep within the heart of both parties concerned.
Though there’s never any shortage of things to do with grandkids, you may have a hard time pinning down just one or two things. We are going to offer a good many suggestions here, to help you narrow things down a bit.
Help build an amazing relationship with your grandchildren, or singular grandchild, with unforgettable, fun experiences. Hopefully, the list below will offer encouragement, motivation, and inspiration. (In light of the pandemic, we’ll offer some in-person activities as well as some online, via Zoom or Skype, activities to do with your grandchild.)
When You Can Get Together, Person to Person, with Your Grandkids
With vaccinations, masks, etc., more grandparents and grandchildren are once again getting together, person-to-person. This is a good thing because hugs go a long way toward healthier minds, hearts, and souls. Here’s what to do with your grandchild when you can visit person-to-person:
- Teach them something they don’t know how to do: i.e., crocheting, sewing, building something, putting a model together, etc.
- Either indoors or outdoors, play games. The more physical, the better so everyone can get a little bit of exercise. Try tag, hide and seek, red light/green light.
- Listen/dance to music.
- Make Christmas ornaments.
- Sit down and do some puzzles that are not beyond your grandchild’s capability.
- Paint together or try other arts and crafts. Consider making a scrapbook containing all your memories together.
- Movie night: Pop some popcorn, grab some healthy drinks, and settle in for one movie or a marathon.
When You Have to Keep Your Visits Online
Thanks to Zoom, Skype, and other online conferencing/visitation apps and sites, the coronavirus didn’t stop people from socializing. It’s hard to give a hug over the Internet, but at least you can watch them grow, experience things, and they can hear your voice. Blow lots of kisses!
Here are some things to do together online:
- Send them a surprise package and watch them open it online.
- Dress up as cartoon characters, movie characters, superheroes, etc., and compare costumes.
- If you each own the same board game, you can set it up where the camera can see it and play as if you were actually in the room together.
- Show and tell.
- Read books or sing songs to your grandchildren.
- What did you do last night? Here’s what I did. If the roles were reversed, what would you have done?
- Movie night can be done online, as well as in person. Some apps allow two or more people to watch the same movie and discuss it while the movie is playing and after the movie is over.
Go Out and About Together
If you want to go someplace and do something together, consider these unforgettable opportunities:
- Have your grandchild spend the night with you (don’t forget breakfast together the following morning).
- Take them to a nearby park to go swimming, hiking, kite flying, picnicking, etc.
- Take a short trip to the museum. Concentrate on a different part of the museum every time you go.
- Plant a garden together.
- Take them somewhere to eat that they’ve never been before and might not go, ordinarily.
- Visit the zoo together.
- Go on a train ride.
- Attend a live theater production together. Make sure it’s something they will appreciate and sit still for.
Have Your Grandkids Visit You at Discovery Village At Alliance Town Center!
Just because you live at Discovery Village At Alliance Town Center, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy visits from your grandkids. Imagine the fun you’ll have, and the pride you will experience, introducing them to all the friends you’ve made at the senior living community.
When you’re ready for a little socializing, feel free to go on an excursion with them and see the nearby sites. There are lots to do locally when you reside at Discovery Village At Alliance Town Center.