The key to aging well depends on two major factors, namely the lifestyle choices you make over the years, as well as the environment you live in. When you combine a healthy lifestyle with a healthy environment, it’s the perfect formula for wellness. This approach of senior living has increased in popularity over the years and has spurred many senior living communities to integrate various forms of wellness into a working model to help seniors live better well-balanced lives. Read on the find out more about how you can practice 6 dimensions of wellness for healthy aging.
The 6 Dimensions of Wellness for Seniors
- Physical Wellness. This first dimension of wellness is what most people pay attention to when it comes to aging for good reasons. Physical wellness is extremely important, and factors that contribute to good physical wellness include having a well-balanced diet to ensure you get your essential nutrients and avoid foods that are rich in sugar and salt such as fried foods, sugary treats, and sodas. Of course, you should also avoid or cut down on smoking if you happen to smoke.
- Intellectual Wellness. This dimension of wellness is largely dependent on the environment you live in rather than the lifestyle choice. It is not uncommon for seniors to become more forgetful over the years, but it is crucial to maintain an adequate amount of cognitive stimulation to lower the risks of memory-related problems like dementia.
- Social Wellness. Speaking of dementia, another big culprit would be the lack of social interaction in seniors. Isolation has been proven to be extremely detrimental to both the physical and mental health of seniors. Hence, family members are encouraged to maintain strong relationships and ensure they always have someone to spend their time with.
- Occupational Wellness. Even when retired, seniors are encouraged to participate in activities they love to do and find activities that will give them a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. This experience can prove to be rewarding and facilitate a more enriching life.
- Spiritual Wellness. It doesn’t matter what age you are at. The search for meaning and purpose in life continues at every stage of life. This can help seniors be at peace and find joy and harmony between the world and themselves, living a happier life in general.
- Emotional Wellness. It is encouraged for seniors to have a positive outlook on life and be optimistic about things. Having been through many ups and downs, better managing your response to events help seniors stay happy.
Find a Senior Living Community Now
Over the years, senior living communities have become increasingly due to rapid improvements that bring out many benefits for both seniors and their families. Here at Discovery Village At Twin Creeks, we ensure that every resident is well taken care of and put in our maximum effort to ensure that everyone practices the 6 dimensions of wellness in their daily lives so that every resident can age happily and healthily. Contact us today to find out more!