Vitamin D deficiency can be a problem for many especially for the elderly. Vitamin D can be helpful for the body. Its main job is to help the body to absorb calcium. A vitamin D deficiency can lead to weaker bones, which means more falls, fractures, and other bone-related problems. Osteoporosis can be a result of low Vitamin D. Here are some signs to indicate that your loved ones may be lacking in vitamin D and read on to learn what are some ways to prevent vitamin D deficiency in the elderly.
Signs of Vitamin D Deficiency
Besides doing lab tests, there are signs and symptoms that you can look out for to spot a vitamin D deficiency. These include the following:
- If you are over 50 years old, your skin may not respond as well to taking in sunlight for your body to produce vitamin D
- Vitamin D is fat-soluble, so if you are overweight, your fat may absorb the vitamin instead of using it efficiently
- If you have darker skin, it may be harder for you to absorb light from the sun to produce vitamin D
- If you are experiencing low moods or depression, as the amount of sun exposure can affect your mood
- Some chronic conditions may play a part as well, such as if you have gut issues, you may not be able to absorb fat well, and since Vitamin D is fat-soluble, you may have issues absorbing vitamin D
- If your bones ache, as Vitamin D is necessary to bring calcium to your bones so a vitamin D deficiency may cause problems for your bones
How to Fix Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency is common and most people are not aware of it. The symptoms are subtle and nonspecific so it is hard to notice and know if they are caused by vitamin D deficiency. It is important to talk to your doctor and get it checked. Fortunately, it is easy to fix a vitamin D deficiency. You can either increase your exposure to the sun or eat more foods rich in vitamin D such as fortified dairy products or fatty fish. In some cases, your doctor may recommend you to take a vitamin D supplement. Fixing vitamin D deficiency is easy and has many benefits for your health.
Experience Discovery Village At Boynton Beach
At Discovery Village At Boynton Beach, we have designed the best senior living community especially for you. We provide you with three different options to suit all your needs: independent living, assisted living, and SHINE® memory care. In our senior living community, you have the chance to enjoy wonderful facilities and live your dream lifestyle. Our professional team of staff will provide you with top-notch care and excellent service to meet all of your needs. You get to have delicious and healthy meals every day, fun activities and events to keep you healthy and active, and much more! Feel free to contact us today for more information!