Life can be confusing, disorienting, and even frightening for individuals experiencing dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, etc. For this reason, and more, in the area of memory care treatment, the environment plays a crucial role. For the overall quality of life and well-being of an individual, a soothing, calming, positive environment is essential. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to create a positive environment due to the nature of these cognitive diseases.
Ideally, dementia care in Lake Worth, FL will consist, in part, of minimizing distractions, playing quiet music, etc. For memory care residents, what are some other ways in which a positive environment can be formed? How do they help individuals feel happier and more confident?
Memory Issues and Environment
It can be overwhelming for someone with cognitive issues to experience distractions and/or a lot of noise. Things that used to be familiar can now become overwhelming. Everything is suddenly embroiled in a vicious cycle when a person with memory issues becomes agitated. This leads to disruptive behaviors and agitation. It’s important that an environment feel safe.
Creating a Positive Environment
To help your loved one, here are some ways you can organize your routine and your home:
- At least from time to time, consider a professional in-home caregiver (or move your loved one to a memory care community)
- Play familiar, soft music
- Pull bars and other safety features should be incorporated into bathrooms, common areas, bedrooms, etc.
- To interact with your loved one, include friends and family members
- To stimulate a sense of calm, uses soothing colors to decorate your home
- Shadows can be disorienting and frightening – keep your home well lit
- Leave walkways open and clear the area of clutter
Memory Care Communities Promote A Positive Environment
When your loved one lives in a memory care community, a positive environment will be created by the following features:
- 24/7 available medical care and a caring team of professionals
- Adequate privacy for every resident
- Easy to navigate areas
- To encourage conversation, meals are served at small tables
- Taking into consideration the routines and preferences of your loved one, individualized care plans are created
Here Are the Reasons Why Positive Environments Are so Crucial
Can the effects of dementia be reversed or cured simply through a positive environment? No. Yet, it’s important to offer a positive, calm environment as much as possible. Here’s why:
- Your loved one can live a life that is happier and more fulfilling if their spirits can be lifted by a positive environment.
- Individuals feel safer in an environment that is quiet, free of distractions, and non-disruptive.
- The health, safety, and independence of your loved one is supported in a memory care community due, in part, to the environment provided.
- A positive, calm environment allows your loved one to have a sense of personal control which, for as long as possible, helps them live well, even with dementia.
- In the right environment, outbursts and agitation will be less likely.
Need Dementia Care for Your Loved One? Check out Our SHINE® Memory Care Program
The SHINE® Memory Care program offered by Discovery Village At Palm Beach Gardens takes into consideration each resident individually, their needs, their routines, and more when creating a person-centered care plan. The calmest, most positive environment achievable is encouraged at all times. Your loved one will receive all the care they need, 24/7, while still being encouraged to be as independent as possible.
For general inquiries, please phone us at 561-801-7301. For specific sales and leasing questions, call 561-316-4626. You can also fill out our convenient online form to open the lines of communication.
Better yet, schedule a tour to see for yourself all we have to offer.