There are many activities that can act as a source of comfort for older adults and benefit them in their health and mental wellbeing at the same time. Engaging in art activities for older adults can act as a form of art therapy for them, enhancing their whole-body wellbeing and lead a less stressful lifestyle. Art therapies make use of creative arts to help older adults to cope with physical and mental stress through expression, management, and understanding.
Benefits of Art Activities for Older Adults
Most people believe that art practices such as drawing and painting are simply just hobbies, but research has shown that art activities are valuable approaches to improve the mental and physical health of older adults. In fact, art activities have been included in senior living programs among other activities. Art therapists help to guide older adults through using various forms of art to address the imbalance of health, and by using motion and expression to assist in restoring normal life functions. Some of the benefits include:
- Cognitive function – Art activities challenge older adults to stimulate their senses and make art to become sharper. They can also enhance their thinking skills through the learning of new art forms and allow them to make fast neural connections they might have lost in their aging process.
- Memory – Older adults who suffer from memory loss due to dementia or Alzheimer’s can practice creative arts to uncover lost memories about old times or loved ones. It is part of the memory care program that can present them the ability to function optimally and moment of clarity for older adults who are living with forgotten memories.
- Thoughts – Art activities can help older adults to think differently about their lives and engage their brain and part of the body that they do not use frequently. This will help them to find new joy and reframe their perspectives through the exploration of new thoughts and movements.
- Self-expression – Older adults tend to face challenges with verbal communications due to physical or mental deterioration. Art activities act as alternative methods of expression for their thoughts and feelings. It allows them to express themselves freely and provides better communication with their caregivers or their loved ones.
- Mood – Feelings of depression, anxiety, and stress of older adults can be reduced with art activities. Studies have shown that older adults who actively participate in creative arts tend to experience lower levels of loneliness and depression and were generally more positive as compared to their peers who did not do so. Engaging in art activities can help older adults to provide positive outlets to vent their frustration and help them to better cope with stress and negative feelings.
Rewards of Art Activities for Older Adults
Art activities for older adults can be extremely rewarding as it helps to provide them with a new life. It involves producing artwork that helps to improve cognitive functions and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression in older adults. It helps to provide them a way to cope with physical and mental health and expressing themselves freely at the same time. Discovery Village At Naples offers senior independent living or assisted living options that cover exclusive activities that are designed to enhance the quality of life of older adults.