In the past century, we have enjoyed an average 25 years gain in life expectancy. With longevity on the table, our society is faced with a new territory; how do we age gracefully?
Aging does not symbolize lost youth but delineates a new chapter of strength and opportunity. It’s not about striving to look young; you want to keep your mind sharp and strong as you age to enjoy your golden years. Like a bottle of full-bodied wine, you want to age well in optimal conditions.
Today’s mature adults do not have a handbook on how to age with dignity and grace. Every individual is special and bears unique qualities and challenges. So regardless of how you approach aging, the essential is to feel good about yourself. In this article, we look at some best-kept secrets on aging gracefully.
Healthy Skin Matters
Our epidermis is the largest organ of our body. This first line of defense retains your body fluid, protects you from harmful microbes, and acts as a barrier for shocks. Under the sun, your skin also produces vitamin D which is important for your bone health. As we age, our oil and sweat gland function declines. With proper care, you can avoid skin issues such as dry skin and skin infections.
Here are some ways to keep your skin healthy:
- Clean with a gentle cleanser that is formulated for dry skin
- Slather moisturizing products such as creams, lotions, and ointments regularly
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to your living space
- Apply sun protection when you go outdoors
- Go for regular skin screenings
Exercise with Grace
No matter what is your age, exercise brings you multifaceted benefits. You don’t need to hit the gym to reap the rewards of exercise; it’s about adding more activity to your life, even in modesty. There are many workouts to get your body on the move and enhance your health. Try these out:
- 30 minutes daily walks can help you maintain a healthy weight
- Resistance-based strength training builds muscle and improves balance
- Yoga’s stretching and meditation exercises improve your flexibility and reduce stress
- Swimming is an excellent total body workout for your overall well-being
Your food and beverage diet plays an important role when it comes to aging gracefully. Frequent consumption of processed food with high salt and fat contents can increase elderly frailty risks. Instead, pack your meals with fresh ingredients and power food such as:
- Omega 3-rich: salmon, canola oil, and walnuts
- Calcium: yogurt, soymilk, and leafy vegetables
- Antioxidant: blueberries, broccoli, and spinach
- Micronutrients: green tea
- And not forgetting water!
A key ingredient for aging gracefully is the enduring ability to cope with new challenges and find joy in life. As you age, your life will change; there will be periods of both glee and stress. It is important to manage your stress and build your resilience towards a healthy and happy retirement. Some helpful ways to stay away from stress:
- Exploring a new and meaningful hobby keeps your mind engaged
- Socializing keeps you connected to the present
- Going outdoors in nature can open up your soul
- Spending time with pets can boost your mood
Aging gracefully isn’t always a breeze, but your attitude is what matters most. Embrace yourself with your loved ones and do things that make you happy, and you’ll be on your path to graceful aging.