At Discovery Villages, our Senior Citizen communities are designed to give you the necessary support to carry out your life with dignity. We provide many lifestyles to fit you or your family members specific needs and desires. Come visit us today at one of our locations in Fort Myers, Naples, and Sarasota, Florida.
Elder Care can be a hard subject to broach for older adults and their families. Tragically, many families wait until it’s too late to discuss Advanced Care Planning choices with their loved ones. Discussing the end of life wishes of an Older Adult now will give all involved the peace of mind and confidence to know they will make the best decisions about care in the future.
Here are some tips to start a discussion on Advanced Care Planning:
- Schedule a specific time to discuss Advanced Care Planning in a relaxing and private environment. Make sure all of the important family members and close friends are in attendance.
- Have someone facilitate this discussion and keep everyone on track. This person can also record the specific details and instructions of the meeting.
- Listen to the Elder Family Member’s wishes and desires for the end of their life. The more specific information that is communicated, the less questions there will be in the future. Ask questions, and listen to the information presented.
- Appoint a Health Care Proxy who can make decisions regarding the wishes of the older adult if he/she becomes incapacitated.
- Discuss specific professionals that can help the family create Advanced Directives. These professionals include Lawyers, Social Workers and Clergy Members.
After the initial meeting, make sure to put Advanced Directives in place. Advanced Directives are legal documents including a Living Will and Power of Attorney for Health Care Document. Below is some information about Advanced Directives for the state of Florida:
- The Florida Living Will contains specific instructions about the health care wishes of an Older Adult if he or she is incapacitated due to a permanent vegetative state or terminal condition. The Older Adult’s end of life medical wishes are stated in this document.
- The Florida Designation of Health Care Surrogate (or Power of Attorney for Health Care) names the specific individual that is appointed to make decisions if a Senior cannot make decisions for themselves. This Surrogate can be a family member or close friend, but they should have a clear understanding of the wishes and desires of the Senior Adult. An Alternate Surrogate can also be appointed in case the primary Surrogate is unavailable or unwilling to act on behalf of the Older Adult.
- According to Florida law, signatures and witness provisions must be in place for these Advanced Directives to be effective. This means that two adult witnesses must be present at the signing of the legal documents, which do not include the Surrogate and Alternate Surrogate. In addition, one of these witnesses must not be a blood relative or spouse.
- If an Older Adult decides to add further instructions to their Florida Advanced Directive, they should communicate new information with their Surrogate, so that he or she knows how to best carry out these wishes.
- An Older Adult also has the option of a Do Not Resuscitate order (DNR). This is a written order from a medical physician that states that health care professionals should not attempt life saving measures in the event of a medical emergency.
Once the Advanced Directives are in place, it is important to keep these plans organized and accessible. Give a copy of important paperwork to all those that are involved.
Finally, after communicating plans and legalizing Advanced Directives, it might be a wonderful opportunity to explore options for further exceptional Senior care. At Discovery Villages, we have many different lifestyles that fit a variety of needs and desires for Older Adults. Contact us to learn about our award-winning Senior living communities, and how you or your family member could benefit from these lifestyles today.
Discovery Villages is a world-class senior living community with locations in Fort Myers, Naples and Sarasota, Florida. We offer a variety of living options for your needs, including Supervised Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care. To receive more information or schedule an appointment to experience our wonderful lifestyle, please go to: http://www.discoveryvillages.com.
Seniors and Apps
At Discovery Villages, we help our Senior Citizens find new and improved ways to engage in the world around them and live their most vibrant life. We support our older adults by helping them to navigate technology that directly benefits their lives. Talk to our staff at Discovery Villages today to find out about the opportunities we provide. Come visit us today at one of our locations in Fort Myers, Naples and Sarasota, Florida.
Technology continues to change at such a rapid pace, and it can seem overwhelming to keep up with what is current and new. Within the last century, we have gone from typewriters to smart phones and beyond! Senior Citizens can benefit greatly by using Application Software technology to improve their lives, but many do not know where to begin. The use of “Apps” are a growing trend among Seniors these days, providing them opportunities to connect and enhance their overall quality of life.
So first of all, what is an App? An App (Application Software) is a computer program that can run on mobile devices, smart phones and tablet devices. There are a plethora of Apps to choose from based on an individual’s interests, preferences and needs.
If you have an Android smart phone or tablet, you can search for specific Apps using the Google Play Store Icon located on your mobile device or tablet. If you have an Apple device, you can search for Apps using the Apple Store Icon located on your iPhone, iPad or iPod.
Many Apps are free or cost very little money. When searching for an App, it will generally list the price under the description, as well as details, reviews and other related information. To download an App onto a mobile device, click “Get” or “Install.” This may take a few seconds to a few minutes to complete the downloading process. Once the App is downloaded, the specific Icon will appear on the home screen. Click on the App Icon to get started, and begin the new adventure!
Here are some of the most popular Apps that Seniors Currently Use:
Find My Phone: This free App helps you to find your mobile device if you lose sight of it. By linking it to another mobile device (such as a family member or friend’s device), you can track the exact location of the device. You can also lock it so that it cannot be used by anyone else. This is available for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android.
Skype: This free Video Chat App helps you to stay in touch with family and friends whether they are near or far away. You can see your loved ones live in-person while chatting, as if they were in the room with you! This is available for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android.
MediSafe Meds & Pill Reminder: This free award-winning App helps you to take your pills safely and on time. You no longer have to fear forgetting when to take important medications. You can set certain sounds as alarms to remind you of when to take certain medicines. It can even remind you when you need to get another prescription. Family members can also manage and keep track of medications using this App. This is available for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android.
Silver Surf: This free App allows you to enlarge text, so that you don’t have to squint anymore to clearly read information. Large print buttons are available for easier navigation, and Seniors can more easily manipulate the zoom functions. This is available for iPad.
Weather Channel: This free App gives you instant access to the weather at all times, so that you don’t have to wait to watch the news. You can view weather forecasts, live radar and even weather videos. This is available for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android.
NPR: This free App gives you the latest world news information, radio programming and text versions of news stories to keep you updated, entertained and readily informed. NPR has a wide variety of programming for just about everyone’s preferences. This is available for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android.
Kindle: This free App allows you to read books on your tablet or smart phone. You can search Amazon for the books and periodicals of your choosing. After you purchase a book on Amazon, it will appear in your Kindle App and is available to read. You can also find some free e-books that can be downloaded through the Kindle Store. This is available for iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android.
At Discovery Villages, we want our Seniors to successfully engage in the world around them. By providing opportunities for Seniors to learn about the latest technologies, we strive to keep their minds active, and connected to the world around them. Our knowledgeable and caring staff continually find ways to support Seniors in developing new skills and hobbies that improve their quality of life.
Discovery Village at Boynton Beach offers a variety of senior living programs to keep seniors healthy and active. Learn about our senior living options and amenities today when you contact us at 561.220.8497.