As they age, many people require a more specialized level of personal care due to challenges associated with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. At Discovery Village At Westchase, residents who require such care participate in our deeply personalized, exclusive memory care program, SHINE® Memory Care. If you’re considering enrolling an aging loved one in a memory-specific program, you’ve probably wondered, “What is memory care?” Below, you’ll find an overview of what our resident-focused program entails, and how it provides many of our residents with the compassionate help they need.
What Is Memory Care?
Memory care is a type of supervised, personal care designed specifically for seniors living with Alzheimer’s, dementia, and various other memory issues. Such specialized senior living options provide long-term, comprehensive care designed to stimulate ongoing social engagement, comprehension, and increased quality of life for aging individuals.
In general, memory care programs focus on helping aging, memory-challenged seniors maintain and build upon their current abilities while making ongoing use of their current skills. Residents of such programs are encouraged to actively participate in a variety of age-appropriate and ability-specific activities intended to stimulate memory and possibly, slow disease progression.
What Is a Memory Care Program Designed to Include?
Because memory care is designed to stimulate ongoing use of seniors’ current skills and abilities, it includes a number of specialized care features that augment more general assisted living programs.
At Discovery Village At Westchase, our care program, SHINE® Memory Care, is a highly personalized, feature-rich, science-based program designed to promote an exceptional quality of life for our residents. To help ensure the highest-quality care and maintenance of long-term cognitive, emotional, and physical wellness, our program features include:
- Scheduled, nutrient-dense daily meals, in a quiet, calm environment, so residents can focus on nourishing their bodies.
- Personal meal assistance provided on an as-needed basis
- “Food on the Run” for residents who have difficulty focusing on mealtimes or who are prone to wandering
- Active, daily participation in one-on-one or small-group-based activities
- Age- and ability-appropriate activities, designed to cater to the time of day and resident attention spans
- Recreational and leisure activities designed to promote community, friendships, and a strong sense of belonging
- Daily engagement and support in personal care activities designed to maintain resident independence and personal control
- Round-the-clock supervision by registered nurses and certified nursing aides who have completed extensive training in memory-specific care
As part of our personalized, holistic approach to memory care, we place a strong emphasis on continual communication with residents and their families, as well as extensive training for all team members. Residents enjoy personalized attention in a compassionate environment designed to stimulate awareness, interaction, and social participation, which supports their overall enjoyment and quality of life.
We have carefully designed our program to not only preserve but also help rebuild the qualities and abilities that memory-related afflictions so often take from those they affect. This is why we place a strong focus on celebrating small, daily successes, elevating strengths over limitations, and promoting active participation in personal and group activities.
Contact Our Team to Learn More About Memory Care Programs
At Discovery Village At Westchase, we strive to provide only the highest quality, personalized care for each of our residents. From independent living to supervised memory care, our programs are carefully designed to allow residents the ability to age comfortably, in a compassionate, caring environment.
If you’ve wondered what is memory care and whether it’s the right option for your loved one, we’re here to help. To learn more about our comprehensive memory care programs and other personalized senior living options, feel free to contact our team today.